What a trip!
We are back from our trip to Honduras. It was such an incredible opportunity to be able to go and experience another culture. We couldn’t wait to learn everything about World Gospel, Rancho Ebenezer, and what life is like in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. We left on March 17th and arrived in Honduras on the 18th. The capital city is huge, dangerous, mountainous, and very poor. The “ranch” is about an hour drive from the city. The ranch is where the 35 Honduran orphans live, play, and go to school. They are rescued from the streets of Honduras and live with house parents to be raised in a loving, Christian environment until they are old enough for college or a career. The organization of World Gospel Outreach is dedicated to raising these children in a Christ-centered and caring home, but as productive Honduran citizens. Nathan and I got to experience what life would be like on the ranch. The ranch is a beautiful 96-acre area full of trees, coffee plants, bananas, blackberries and a working coffee production company. All of the coffee proceeds go toward the ranch, as well as boost the economy of the surrounding mountainous towns. Specifically, they need teachers to serve in Ebenezer Academy, and they need men for maintenance around the ranch, as well as to provide discipleship to the teen boys. I was able to be in the school for most of our time there and I fell in love with the kids. The school is completely Christ centered and I loved seeing the individualized attention given to each student. The class sizes are incredibly small and close. I would be able to teach 1st or 2nd grade and would only have about 5 kids in my class! Talk about a teacher’s dream! Praying and teaching bible stories are a part of the school's core values. How amazing to see prayer in a school! The people on the ranch were so welcoming and caring. We enjoyed getting to know everyone involved in the ministry. We were even able to serve on a brigade team at a local church in the city. This is the other side of World Gospel. Brigade volunteers come from all over the U.S to serve for a week in the capital city. They provide medical treatment, medicine, dental/eye work, as well as evangelism. We helped with a team from Kansas. Nathan helped pour concrete in a mud floor “home” and I helped to get the lice out of the hair of many poor kids from the city. It was truly a humbling and eye opening experience. Overall, we really enjoyed the time we spent in Honduras. We know that God is calling us to serve him and to GO and make disciples. We are going to pray about where exactly God wants us to serve Him. It is a huge decision that we are going to make about where we feel God wants us to serve. It may be in Honduras, it may still be somewhere else. We are leaving it up to God!
Pictures:
The City of Tegucigalpa
Ebenezer Academy: A preschool-high school for all of the children at the Ranch
Nathan and I with a few of the teens on the Ranch.
Recess at the ranch. Nathan playing soccer with the boys
At the Ranch-in front of our duplex we stayed in while we were there. Not a bad place at all!
The church in Tegucigalpa where the medical brigade took place.
Two kids who did not speak any English. This is them waiting for the lice treatment to develop in their hair. I practiced all of my Spanish on them! They thought I was hilarious.
Washing the kids' hair.
*Honduras is beautiful! It rains for 7 months out of the year, but there was not one single drop while we were there!
Please check it all out!
http://worldgospeloutreach.com/

I am so proud of you two. I love that God has placed this on your hearts. It looks like a wonderful place to share your love for the Lord. I am very excited for a final decision on where you will be. I will definately be visiting!! Love you both!
ReplyDeleteMay God bless you as you follow Him!
ReplyDelete